We all know that sometimes cozy fall weather is paired with comfort foods. As a part of the Wondr program, the Wondr Kitchen prioritizes healthy recipes that are easy to prepare, cost-effective, and enjoyable to eat to help keep you in line with your health and financial goals.
Switch up your Thanksgiving lineup and get a taste of the Wondr Health Kitchen by trying this creamy pumpkin soup recipe from executive chef and Wondr Health’s culinary expert, Tre Wilcox.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Recipe makes 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped small
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 15-oz cans pureed pumpkin
- 2 tspp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 Tbsp reduced fat plain yogurt
- 4 Tbsp dried pumpkin seeds
- Heat large pot over medium heat.
- Add oil, when hot, mix in onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the canned pumpkin, smoked paprika, cinnamon and garlic.
- Pour in broth, mixing well. Cover pot with offset lid to allow steam to escape and avoid splattering. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in half and half and brown sugar
- Pour ⅓ of mixture into blender. Remove center lid from blender. Cover with folded dishcloth. Turn blender on low, gradually increase to medium, then high. Blend on high for 10 seconds. Pour blended soup into large bowl.
- Repeat blending vegetables in batches until all are smooth.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with a spoonful of yogurt and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.
Share your photo with us on Instagram by using #WondrKitchen and tag @WondrHealth!